Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Finance: Switched to Ally

So, I've been thinking about starting some sort of short-term investment for the last couple of weeks. I want to be able to start a Roth IRA (a certain type of individual retirement account) in the near future and that means saving! 

So, I did some research and found out the following options:

Certificate of Deposit: A short-term investment that is guaranteed by the FDIC that you can not touch until a specified amount of time. So, for example, you could put $1,000 into a CD for 12 months at anywhere with a .3 to 1 percent return.

Why I didn't go for it: It would've been worth my while if I could put a bigger amount like $10,000. But seeing as I'm a lowly college grad that is not an option for me. That and not being able to touch it for a year makes me nervous this early in the game. Again, maybe when I'm older and don't have to worry about the little expenses here and there, I can try for a CD. 

Money market accounts: These work a lot like a savings account and they usually have a higher interest rate then your typical bank's savings account. 

Why I didn't go for it: You can only take the money out of the account three to six times a month. It's also not insured by the FDIC, which makes me a little bit nervous. 

Savings Account: These are secured by the FDIC, you can make up to six withdrawals without fees (usually), but, alas, has a horrible interest rate. 

Unless...

With a little more digging I found out about Ally savings account. There's no fee to opening a savings account, no minimum down payment and they have an APY (annual percentage yield) of 1 percent! My current bank, Bank of America, has a horrendous APY of .05 percent. POINT-ZERO- FIVE PERCENT PEOPLE! Needless to say, I will slowly be transferring my money to Ally.

The only bad thing I can say about Ally is that they are an online bank so they don't offer the "convenience" of BoA. Saying that, I do all my banking online and this IS a savings account. Spending is why they invented checking accounts.

DISCLAIMER: I am not involved with Ally in any way shape or form. I'm not being payed for this, I'm just giving my opinion.  ALSO, I am not a professional financier. Just another 20-something who enjoys personal finance. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment